Property Details

Offers Over £100,000
For Sale
Residential Building Plot Main Road, Cardross, by Helensburgh, Dunbartonshire, G82 5LB
  • Detailed Planning Permission
  • Attractive Design
  • Accessible Location
  • Services In Close Proximity
  • Rural Surroundings
  • Highly Desirable Location
  • Established & Thriving Community
  • Rail Connections For The Commuter
A unique opportunity to acquire a residential building plot for two semi-detached single storey 2 bedroom cottage style homes suitable for adaptable living.

On the north side of the Firth of Clyde, situated halfway between Dumbarton and Helensburgh, Cardross is in the historic geographical county of Dunbartonshire but the modern political local authority of Argyll and Bute. Cardross is a most peaceful west coast village, the settlement of which was developed around a 17th-century church, the ruins of which are to the east of this residential plot. Geilston Garden, a National Trust for Scotland property, is located to the north west of the village. Within Cardross there are a number of businesses, including a sawmill, car mechanic, a Co-operative food store, newsagents, pharmacy, post office, plumber’s merchant, take-away, hairdressers and a jewellers. Ardardan Estate is a working farm with a farm shop, plant nursery and tea room and is situated outside Cardross near Ardmore Point. Further amenities including supermarkets, restaurants, banks and leisure facilities can be found less than 5 miles away in Helensburgh. Cardross possesses a golf course, bowling, tennis and football club and a number of countryside and coastal walks can be enjoyed from the doorstop. There are a number of active sailing schools in the area. The village has two places of worship: Cardross Parish Church (Church of Scotland) and a Roman Catholic Church. Cardross has a nursery and primary school. Secondary schooling is at Hermitage Academy in Helensburgh. Cardross Railway Station has direct links to both Glasgow Queen Street and Edinburgh Waverley stations on the North Clyde Line. A bus service is provided by First Glasgow.

RESIDENTIAL BUILDING PLOT

The planning reference for the site is 15/03004/PP, the associated documents can be viewed on the following link: https://publicaccess.argyll-bute.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.doactiveTab=summary&keyVal=NX2GHMCHKHL00 Planning permission was granted for the construction of two dwelling houses and formation of vehicular access at the site on 22nd September 2016 (Planning appeal reference: PPA-130-2054). Listed building consent was simultaneously granted on appeal for “Partial demolition of wall to facilitate construction of vehicular access”(Listed building consent appeal reference: LBA-130-2025). Copies of both Appeal Decision Notices are available on request.

The planning permission is for two single storey semi-detached two bedroom cottages with a pitched roof that is orientated towards Main Road. The building has been designed to be in keeping with the surrounding heritage and character of the area and is of local vernacular design. It is to be finished with smooth render, timber windows and doors under a natural slate roof. Materials have already been agreed with the local council. The site is served by a new vehicular access from Main Road that connects with a parking area that has been sited to the rear of the building. The new access has been designed in such a way as to provide for the cottages as well as providing a field access to the remainder of the field of which the site forms part. A Notice of Initiation of Development has been submitted to the Council and all information required to purify pre-commencement conditions has been submitted to the Council. A material start on site has taken place with the partial demolition of the wall to Main Road and the partial creation of the vehicular access. The cottages have been designed to allow for level disabled access and for those requiring adaptable housing however there are no occupancy restrictions.

The land proposed for construction of the new housing lies immediately adjacent to the remains of Cardross Old Parish Church. The extant remains of the church, comprising the tower and buttressed bays, represent the only upstanding elements of a church that was erected in 1826, and which was bombed in 1941. This structure is a Category B Listed building, along with the associated graveyard and boundary walls. The Church constructed in 1826 was built to replace an earlier parish church that had previously occupied the site. The first church on this site was erected in 1643-4 after the parish boundaries had been redrawn and the centre of the parish moved from Levengrove Park, Dumbarton. There are no remains of the 17th century church to be seen, although the graveyard does contain 17th and 18th century gravestones along the western boundary wall.

Property Enquiry